16 January 2011

Acidity

I like pineapple. I like the shape, the color, and the taste. I also like the idea that it can be used in so many different types of foods. I’ve had pineapple plain (fresh and canned), in fruit salads, in ice creams and sherbets, in cakes, on salads, on sandwiches and burgers, mixed with various meats and vegetables in toppings for rice, as a pizza topping, and as a beverage. It doesn’t play well with Jell-O, but I can live with that.

However, it is remarkably acidic. After eating enough of it fresh, I’ve found that my lips feel raw and that the roof of my mouth has a burning sensation for some time. Today, I cut a fresh pineapple, and I was reminded that even a tiny amount of pineapple juice on a negligible cut in the skin (barely more than a paper cut) causes disproportionate amounts of pain. I learned that a long time ago while working for a pizza parlor, but I guess I somehow forgot over the years.

It also appears that a while fungus can grow in crevices on the outside of the fruit without affecting the edible parts inside.

I’ve just got to find an easier way to cut a fresh pineapple.

And I wonder if anybody’s ever tried to make a pineapple pie…

1 comment:

  1. Pineapple is pretty much amazing. I was lucky the year I lived in Thailand that it was available year round but there was one month where it was just really sour so no one ate it.

    I haven't heard of a pineapple pie but I've had pineapple cheesecake before. It was very good.

    ReplyDelete