06 January 2011

Primacy

I’m a geek. I know it, and I’m not afraid to admit it. Sometimes, though, I surprise myself with my geekiness.

I was part of a conversation in which somebody brought up Egyptian hieroglyphics. I started making a comment that required me to come up with an example of hieroglyphics that could conceivably be used in a modern setting. I was not quite able to stop the thought before speaking it, and I said, “Well, it’s not like you’re going to try to recreate the whole Stargate codex.”

Yeah, the first example of Egyptian writing I think of comes from a science fiction movie.

Now the question that arises is: Do I have an overly strong interest in science fiction (which I think is likely), or does the entertainment media have a more powerful influence on my thought processes than world history?

No comments:

Post a Comment