28 May 2010

Beverage

For a variety of reasons, I rarely drink carbonated or caffeinated beverages. Today, I got a free 16-ounce Pepsi with my lunch. I made it last through the last four hours of work, drinking from it at a very slow but steady pace. I was able to observe the effects it had on me.

My body is simply not accustomed to carbonation or to caffeine.

The caffeine affected me first. I could actually feel when the chemical entered my bloodstream. My heart rate increased slightly. My blood pressure increased slightly. I had a marginally easier time keeping my eyes open through some mind-numbing tasks. After a little more of the drink, I noticed a vague tingling sensation within my chest that resembled the feeling I get when I've been flexing a muscle for too long (like when lifting and holding a heavy box) and suddenly relax it. I also noticed a tightness in my neck. Those sensations didn't increase any further as I finished the Pepsi, but I did become significantly more fidgety toward the end of my shift, to the point that I wondered if I could handle sitting still for the last half hour or so.

The carbonation affected my stomach a bit, giving me the tiniest hint at a suggestion of bloating. It affected my breathing more. As the carbon-dioxide entered my bloodstream and affixed to the red blood cells, there was less room for the necessary oxygen. I found myself breathing just a little deeper and just a little faster as a result.

I think I understand why I rarely drink such things any more, and I find myself becoming increasingly confused by people who have a soda with nearly every meal and/or several times throughout the day, by people who give soda to their children, and by people who live on coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment