10 May 2010

McBreakfast

I just saw a television commercial for McDonald's, and I found myself rolling my eyes at it.

A woman claims that she likes to bike to work "when the weather is right" and that she often stops for breakfast at the McDonald's at the top of a large hill. The ad did successfully show the potential pleasantness of a morning outdoors, and the woman (as portrayed by the actress, of course) was clearly happy. Still, I can't help thinking that the writers and producers here missed the mark.

If McDonald's was trying to appeal to cyclists, they failed. I doubt many cyclists stop for McDonald's food on the way to work. And most cyclists don't just ride "when the weather is right. Instead, they try to ride unless the weather simply won't let them.

The advertisement did manage to suggest that a McDonald's breakfast was tasty and could be a pleasant part of a person's morning, but I don't believe it. I had a breakfast from there once. I was not impressed. In fact, McDonald's would be the last place I thought of for breakfast on the go.

Finally--and, though I could elaborate, I'll leave it at this--I have a difficult time connecting fast food breakfasts with the generally healthy lifestyle required for biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment