07 May 2010

Segue

When I first saw the device called a Segway, I must admit that I was perplexed. I gave it the same look a dog might give to someone who just made an unusual noise. On one hand, I was intrigued. On the other hand, I couldn't think of any situation in which such a thing might actually be useful. And somewhere in between those two hands, I was vaguely insulted by the horrific misspelling of "segue" (a word meaning a direct transition).

The Segway transportation device has become oddly popular in a geeky and openly-mocked sort of way. I have yet to encounter one in my day-to-day travels, though.

I don't know where the idea for the Segway came from, and I don't really have the ambition to look it up. But while on my bike today, I determined one possible source of inspiration for it. When I have enough momentum, I sometimes like to stand up on the pedals on my bike. It gives me a break from the effort of pedaling (a welcome rest after six miles), and it's a different perspective. I did so today, rolling down the street about two blocks from home. I was still moving rather quickly for that stretch of the commute--around 8-10 mph, I believe. I thought idly that it might be fun to be able to stand about a foot off the ground (as I was currently doing) and cruise along effortlessly at those speeds. After all, that's what I enjoy most about biking down hills: the effortless movement and the ability to just stand up and enjoy the ride.

I couldn't help wondering if the Segway developers had a similar experience. And then I couldn't help wondering exactly how such an experience could actually lead to that strange "people mover" they then created.

No comments:

Post a Comment